Thursday, December 17, 2015

How Orthopedic Surgeons and Sports Medicine Doctors Treat Ankle Injuries

Before assuming that that this injury is a sprain, or a break, consult an orthopedic surgeon or a sports medicine doctor in Denver. This professional most likely will take x-rays to determine if there a fracture. In addition, a torn ligament or other instability in the ankle could mean a surgery and possibly plates or pins. RICE After initially injuring your ankle, RICE is the normal procedure: Rest, ice, compression and elevation. Until you have your initial appointment and determine what your next course of action is, this will help reduce the serious swelling of both breaks and sprains. Just wrap your injury in a compression bandage, for the initial 48-72 hours. In addition, elevate your ankle, above your heart, by propping up your leg with several pillows, and apply ice on and off every 20 minutes. Until your ankle is examined, it is best you keep your weight off of your ankle.


Post a Comment